On Friday night Corey and I went over to his parent's house for a retirement party. I was visiting with his Mom in the kitchen when she pointed over at a cake on the counter and she said, "We're going to have this cake later for Corey's birthday". I nodded and smiled while my mind wrapped around that statement. She saw the look on my face turn from happiness (because there was cake) to complete shock and horror! I SMACKED my mouth as I covered my dropped jaw and my eyes opened as wide as they could! I just sat there, mouth covered, bug eyes, in silence for about a minute in complete shock. I FORGOT COREY'S BIRTHDAY!! There was no easy recovery from this because this was now FRIDAY and his birthday was on THURSDAY!!!!! It came and went! I FELT HORRIBLE! I was SICK inside! What a horrible wife! I hadn't even said Happy Birthday to him all day, let alone get him a present.
I went out onto the back patio where Corey was working on a project and sat next to him and said "Corey.... do you hate me?". He looked shocked and said "NO, why would I hate you???". I responded with "... Happy Birthday". He LAUGHED and slammed his hands on the table and said "WHO TOLD YOU????? I WANTED TO SEE THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE WHEN YOU FIGURED IT OUT!". He thought it was the funniest thing ever!
I couldn't believe he had gone all day AND the next, without even hinting to it. He told me later that he figured I would just owe him BIG once I figured it out AND that he now had a "free pass" for if he ever forgets an important day. I still felt rotten all night and I knew I had to make it up to him somehow. The funny thing was that Corey really didn't even care, he was just laughing and patting my head saying "poor little thing forgot my birthday"... he had sympathy for ME!? So, of course he forgave me.
On Saturday I went out and bought him a gift. I'm pretty sure it made things all better. I wouldn't normally get him a birthday gift quite like this, but it had to be good. So.... now he has a PlayStation 3... which is also a BlueRay player : )
- Here's what little excuse I DO have... About 2 weeks ago I asked Corey to make me a list of what he wanted for his birthday. He said "No, I don't want any gifts and I don't want to celebrate it until AFTER I take my CPA exam." (which was the following week). He was very serious about that. I guess I really took that to heart. (but of course, I should have atleast acknowleged it!).
12 comments:
ahhh,.. I'm sad to say I even forgot corey's birthday and I never do that because his is 2 days before mine,.. hahaha. Oh well. Happy Birthday Corey!
That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. What a sweet husband to not even care!!!
I can't believe that! I was laughing so hard as I read that story! Wow! Seriously that is a good story! Yeah, he totally gets a pass when he forgets yours, or your anniversary!! Hey! He scored on the gift though!
Kim, Kim, Kim... Come to think of it I believe you forgot my birthday too! I'll email you my address so you can send me my gift okay!!! Just kidding... Loved the story though.
I am glad that you found our blog. Corey is such a good sport. Men take things like that so much better than women do. Hayden still talks about Sister Miller and Corey. I think he hasn't accepted that you guys aren't coming back to nursery.
KIM!! This cracks me up!! How sweet of him to not say anything! He is a good husband! Happy late birthday Corey!
Maybe you need what I have although I didn't check. I have a month to month list of birthdays and anniversarys. It is a great thing to have. It just has dates and you put the name on it. Today is Nicole's b-day. I have Corey for the 21st. You better be careful he might beg you to forget next year just so he can get an extra special gift.
Oh my gosh! Lucky for you it sounds like your husband is a sweetie-I'm not sure how mine would have taken it! I have to be careful of that too since his birthday is on the 1st. It's not like I can wait until June hits to remember, or I already forgot it!
Kim,
Hey pal this is Amber Cooper (Allen) I was kinda blog stalking and found ya from Mary's blog. I just wanted to tel you that Dev & I are finally expecting baby #1 in January- it's a girl. Check out our blog: supercoops.blogspot.com.
hahaha I love this story!! And how cute is your husband seriously to not have even started a big fight over that!! You guys are too cute:)
He's isn't just sweet...he's smart!!
I'm just laughing ...
Post a Comment