We decided not to do anything big this year. Corey brought me home some beautiful roses and we went to dinner at Lawry's. Dinner was really nice and really yummy.
The real story of our day happened later that night...
We were in bed at about 10:30pm and we both heard a noise that sounded like someone was coming in through the front door or garage door. We both jumped and were SO worried that someone had broken in. I grabbed Corey's phone and dialed 9-1- and was just waiting for confirmation that it was an intruder before I hit the other 1. Corey started looking around for a weapon and ended up with an iron candle holder and I grabbed the Tilex from under the sink and set it to stream so I could spray the intruder's eyes if I needed to! We locked our bedroom door and sat in silence for a couple of minutes waiting for a sound from the intruder. I was freaking out and was very close to making an exit through the bedroom window.
We didn't hear anything for a while so we crept out of our room. Corey's golf clubs were just outside of our bedroom door so he traded the candlestick for a golf club and we went room to room checking every dark corner. No one was there. We talked about it and came to the conclusion that it was NOT just the A/C or the house settling. It was a very distinct sound. Then we could here a constant helicopter sound overhead, which did not help calm our nerves! So I called Jill's house and asked if maybe she had been out running and tried to come in for a drink or something... but no, she had been home all night. Plus... she would have at least knocked or rang the door bell. We were both so worried that someone tried to break in and kept saying, "what if the doors hadn't been locked?". It is a very scary feeling when you think someone has tried to break in.
So here we are, standing in the tv room, Corey with a golf club and me with my Tilex and 9-1- on the cell phone.... and I look over at the fireplace...
(side story- Corey had bought a Mars bar at a vending machine a few weeks ago and it had some spots all over the chocolate, so, Corey being Corey, called the "Customer Satisfaction" line from the wrapper and they said they would mail out 2 coupons for free candybars. He was very proud of this great accomplishment and put the letter and 2 coupons on the fireplace for display)
so, I looked over at the fireplace and saw the letter and coupons on the ground. Then it clicked in my head... I went over, picked them up, and dropped them on the fireplace base and tile below. Who knew that a letter and coupons falling from a fireplace would sound just like an intruder trying to break into your home!??
We each picked them up and dropped them a couple more times and came to the conclusion that we could put down the golf club and Tilex and hang up the phone. The mystery of the late night intruder had been solved.
8 comments:
Lions and tigers and mars bar letters,.. oh my! :) What an adventure. Glad you're ok though and that it wasn't an intruder. I thought the story was going to end that the intruder at the mars bar and made a mad dash for it and that only 2 people knew that the bar was there,.. etc,..etc,.. maybe it was my imagination,...it runs away from me sometimes.
Happy Anniversary. I didn't know we got married the same year. Our 3rd is in June.
I was telling this story to Mark last night and we were laughing so hard. Not that it wasnt totally terrifying in the moment but we could just picture ourselves in the same situation. Corey and his mars bars, geeze.
Too funny! You guys crack me up. I wonder if they have a Tilex range for practicing intruder shooting.
Hah ah a ah a ah ga ag ga! Yes, there are a few ga ga's in there. That's a funny story kim!
Dorks!!
When they say Mars Attack I didn't know it wasn't the movie just good ol' candy bars. I was waiting for you to say that Corey planned the whole thing, and had some crazy surprise waiting for your anniversary. I am just glad it was only the mars bars and papers.
That is a great story! That would have totally freaked me out!
Post a Comment